May 31, 2006
Greetings to Finn's Motel
As bemused, let's say, as I am to admit this, I ran across music from the band Finn's Motel on Myspace earlier today and I'm completing digging the four cuts loaded on there. Classic power-pop, written by Joe Thebeau, long the leader of area groups like the Finns, the Finn Brothers and A-OK. Find them here.
Also, we asked Joe for a shorthand version of the group's story and here're the words directly from the group's creator:
Finn's Motel. Where to start? It's been a long time in the making.
Long story short, I've got an album coming out on Scat records this Fall (Sept 19). We just sent off the master and artwork yesterday and I'm very excited.
The longer version of the story involves about three years, outlined as such:
- bummed out writer starts writing demos and tinkering with computers in the basement.
- friends of bummed out writer hear demos and think they're pretty good. they offer to play drums and bass.
- drums and bass start to make the songs actually sound like a real album and everyone gets optimistic.
- friend with record label says he wants to release the record.
- we are graced with the legendary Adam Schmitt to mix in between his other projects (this takes a year by itself).
- bummed out writer attempts to rediscover the rock stage while pushing 40.
How will it turn out? It's anybody's guess.